Forever 21's efforts to stay afloat continue. Following its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing at the end of September, the L.A.-based fast-fashion retailer will close up to 178 U.S. stores alongside the majority of its locations in Asia and Europe, per USA Today.
According to the national newspaper, Forever 21 plans to close 29 shops in California, including L.A.-area outposts in Old Town Pasadena, Sherman Oaks Fashion Square, Westfield Santa Anita in Arcadia, Westfield Topanga in Canoga Park, Valencia, Van Nuys' The Plant, Redondo Beach, and City of Industry, among others. Additional closures include Orange County shops in Anaheim, Newport Beach's Fashion Island, and Tustin Marketplace as well as locations in several San Diego shopping centers.
Cali stores in City of Industry, Escondido, Montclair, and Salinas are slated to shutter Sunday, Dec. 29; no final dates have been set for the remaining locations.
Forever 21 opened its first store, Fashion 21 (which is still in business), in Highland Park in 1984. The family-owned business rolled out major markdowns and unloaded merch at its first warehouse sale in August, and its stores' front windows have been emblazoned with "This Never Happens!" signage promoting under-$3 sale items. According to Women's Wear Daily, the company also announced the online and brick-and-mortar store closings of Riley Rose, the beauty and lifestyle retailer founded by Linda and Esther Chang, the daughters of Forever 21 husband-and-wife founders Jin Sook and Do Won Chang.
The beauty brand will be folded into its parent company's operations; Riley Rose's website notes that it stopped taking orders on Oct. 15, and "as of 10/28, we welcome you to our new home located on the Beauty by Riley Rose tab on Forever21.com."
See which Golden State stores are closing below, and see the full list of Forever 21's closings in the U.S. here.
- Anaheim Plaza, 500 North Euclid St., Anaheim, 92801
- Chico Mall, 1960 East 20th St., Chico, 95928
- Del Monte Shopping Center, 1500 Del Monte, Monterey, 93940
- Fashion Island, 1101 Newport Center Dr., Newport Beach, 92660
- Hillsdale Shopping Center, 396 Hillsdale Shopping Center, San Mateo, 94403
- Mission Valley, 1640 Camino Del Rio, San Diego, 92108
- Montclair Plaza, 5060 Montclair Plaza Ln., Montclair, 91763
- Westfield North County, 200 East Via Rancho Pkwy., Escondido, 92025
- Northgate Mall, 5800 Northgate Mall, San Rafael, 94903
- Northridge Mall, 400 Northridge Drive, Salinas, 93906
- Westfield Oakridge, 925 Blossom Hill Road, San Jose, 95123
- Pacific View, 3301 East Main St., Ventura, 93003
- Old Town Pasadena, 35 North De Lacey Ave., Pasadena, 91103
- Puente Hills Mall, 1600 South Azusa Ave., City of Industry, 91748
- Westfield Santa Anita, 400 South Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, 91007
- Westfield Fashion Square, 14006 Riverside Drive, Sherman Oaks, 91423
- Solano Town Center, 1451 Gateway Blvd., Fairfield, 94533
- South Bay Galleria, 1815 Hawthorne Blvd., Redondo Beach, 90278
- Stockton Street, 2 Stockton St., San Francisco, 94102
- F21 Red at The Plant, 7888-2 Van Nuys Blvd., Van Nuys, 91402
- The River at Rancho Mirage, 71800 Highway 111, Rancho Mirage, 92270
- The Shops at Mission Viejo, 555 The Shops at Mission Viejo, Mission Viejo, 92691
- The Shops at Tanforan, 1150 El Camino Real, San Bruno, 94066
- F21 Red at Tustin Marketplace, 2856 El Camino Real, Tustin, 92782
- Westfield University Town Center, 4545 La Jolla Village Dr., San Diego, 92122
- Valencia Town Center, 24201 West Valencia Blvd., Valencia, 91355
- Vintage Faire Mall, 3401 Dale Road, Modesto, 95356
- Westfield Topanga, 6600 Topanga Canyon Blvd., Canoga Park, 91303
- Westville Galleria at Roseville, 1173 Galleria Blvd., Roseville, 95678
Main image: Beverly Center