It's an understatement to say that we're living in challenging times right now. The coronavirus has been declared a deadly pandemic by the World Health Organization, and California Governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order requiring everyone "to stay home except to get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to an essential job. If you go out, keep at least six feet of distance."
While we feel a responsibility to keep our readers informed, we know that there are many other established publications that can bring you trusted local and global news on the coronavirus. We also know that our readers turn to UncoverLA to report on stylish new stores, sample sales, events, L.A. designers, and other fashion-related local stories.
In light of all of that, you've probably noticed a decrease in our content. As a small, independently-funded online publication, we (like many other small businesses) aren't the only ones being affected by COVID-19. Non-essential boutiques and sample sale showrooms have temporarily closed, and many brands are postponing store openings, product launches, and events. It's clear that everyone is doing their part to join the global effort and protect lives, including those of high-risk people who have underlying medical conditions or compromised immune systems.
To encourage everyone to stay home and practice social distancing (among other safety measures), we're limiting retail news in the coming weeks and potentially months as many of those openings have been delayed anyway. Instead, we're taking this time to highlight some of the shopkeeps, creatives, makers, movers, and shakers who make up the cultural fabric of the City of Angels — so stay tuned!
We've already rounded up local businesses and nonprofits to consider supporting, and we'll continue to update that list. Below, we've gathered some of our favorite stories from our archives as well as coronavirus resources. If you know any fellow Angelenos, businesses, or organizations that deserve recognition in an upcoming feature or interview, feel free to let us know by emailing [email protected].
From the UncoverLA staff, please stay informed, healthy, and safe, and we thank you for your continued readership.
- WHO: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control
- California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- City of Los Angeles Coronavirus Updates
- John Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
Cool Angelenos to Know
- Los Angeleno's Cool Co-Founder on L.A.'s Best Music, Mapo Tofu, & More
- Meet the Genius Founders Behind Postmates-Like Fashion App Curio
- Why This Former SoCal Naysayer Wrote A Book to Shut Down L.A. Haters
- One of LA's Coolest Developers on the Design Icon Who Inspires Him Most
- Sofia Coppola & David Lynch's Fave Costume Designer on Her Top L.A. Places
- L.A. Beauty Mage Taryn Dean Will Transform Your Lashline & Your Chakras
- Want more? Check out our 10 Questions series
Get to Know These L.A. Brands & Talents
- Sustainable L.A. Label Poplinen's Inspiring Founder on Her Mission to Create All-Year Staples for All Sizes
- Meet the L.A. Beauty Editor Behind Nue, a Pain-Free Cleavage Hack for All Boob Shapes & Sizes
- L.A.-Based Alleyoop Is the Swiss Army Knife of Chic Self-Care Products
- This New L.A.-Based Online Shop Will Keep Your Artful-Luxe Closet Ahead of the Curve
- Meet Ética, a New Sustainable Label That's Easy On Your Wallet & Conscience
- A Sharpie & a Saint Laurent Jacket Inspired Nats Getty's Edgy-Luxe Brand
- Meet the Unapologetically Feminist Label From Wildfox's Former Founder
- This LA Startup's Offering Insanely Affordable Luxury Bags Made By Prada & Celine's Fave Factories
- L.A.'s Dom Vetro Crafts Custom Eyewear the Old-School Italian Way
- N:philanthropy's Founder On Going from Selling Megamansions to Charitable Fashion
- A Charitable Fashion Experiment Inspired This New Line of All-Black Staples
- Meet the Tattoo Legend & the Fashion Industry Vet Behind Luxe Cannabis Brand Beboe
- Read about other recently-launched L.A. brands
Interior Decor Inspiration for Stylish Nesters
- This Former Nudist Motel in Palm Springs Just Got a Chic, Cacti-Filled Makeover
- NeueHouse Takes Over DTLA's Iconic Bradbury Building for Its New Creative Workspace
- Inside Chic Female-Powered Social Club The AllBright on Melrose Place
- Casa Perfect's Contemporary Design Wonderland Takes Over Another Historic Home in the Hills
- Crate & Barrel's New Concept Design Studio Will Inspire Your Next Stylish Home Makeover
- Peek Inside L.A.'s Stylish New Massage Mecca Designed to Inspire Viral Kindness
- At Brella, Cool Kids & Their Parents Have a Chic New Space for Playing & Working Hard
- This Wellness-Focused Cannabis Café & Shop Will Serve Up Food, Massages, & More Next Year
- Nate Berkus & Jeremiah Brent on How California Inspired Their New Living Spaces Collection
- This Wellness-Obsessed Desert Getaway Just Unveiled Its Coachella-Ready Facelift
- LA's Newest Self-Care Sanctuary Offers Botox and Gua Sha Facials in Downtown
- St. Frank's First LA Store Is A Haven for Bohemian-Global Home Decor
- Looking for more design inspo? Check out other Home & Decor stories